I Just Drove By" by Willie Nelson & Kimme Rogers
THE YEAR 1907
Just over one hundred years ago.
What a difference a century makes!
Here are some of the U.S. Statistics for the Year 1907:
The average life expectancy in the U.S. Was 47
Only 14 percent of the homes in the U.S. Had a bathtub.
Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.
A three-minute call from Denver to New York City
Cost eleven dollars.
There were only 8,000 cars in the U.S., and only 144 miles of paved roads.
The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.
Alabama, Mississippi, Iowa, and Tennessee were each more
populated than California.
With a mere 1.4 million people, California was only the 21st
Most populous state in the Union.
The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower!
The average wage
in the U.S. Was 22 Cents per hour.
The average U.S. Worker made between $200 and $400 per year.
A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per
A dentist made $2,500 per year,
$1,500 per year,
And a mechanical engineer about $5,000….
More than 95 percent of all births in the U.S. Took place at HOME.
Ninety percent of all U.S. Doctors had NO COLLEGE EDUCATION!
Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of which
Were condemned in the press AND the government as "substandard. "
Sugar cost four cents a pound.
Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.
Coffee was fifteen cents a pound.
Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used
or egg yolks for shampoo.
Canada passed a law that prohibited poor people from
Entering into their country for any reason.
leading causes of death in the U.S. Were:
1. Pneumonia and influenza
4. Heart disease
flag had 45 stars.
Arizona, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Hawaii, and
Alaska hadn't been admitted to the Union yet.
population of Las Vegas, Nevada, was only 30!!!!
puzzles, canned beer, and ice tea
Hadn't been invented yet.
There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day.
Two out of every 10 U.S. Adults couldn't read or write.
Only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school.
Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over
The counter at the local corner drugstores. Back then pharmacists
Said, "Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind,
Regulates the stomach and bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian
There were about 230 reported Murders in the ENTIRE U.S.A.!
Just Try to imagine.....
What it may be like .
In another 100 years !!!!!!!
YOU KNOW YOU ARE LIVING IN 2011 when...
You accidentally enter your PIN on the microwave.
2. You haven't played solitaire with real cards in years.
3. You have a list of 15 phone numbers to reach your family of
4. You e-mail the person who works at the desk next to you.
5. Your reason for not staying in touch with friends and family
is that they don't have e-mail addresses.
6. You pull up in your own driveway and use your cell phone to
see if anyone is home to help you carry in the groceries.
7. Every commercial on television has a web site at the bottom of the screen
8. Leaving the house without your cell phone, which you didn't
even have the first 20 or 30 (or 60) years of your life, is now a cause for panic and you turn around to go and get it.
10. You get up in the morning and go on line before getting your
11. You start tilting your head sideways to smile. : )
12. You're reading this and nodding and laughing.
13. Even worse, you know exactly to whom you are going to forward
14. You are too busy to notice there was no #9 on this list.